Tuesday, September 18, 2007

GERD

Nissen fundoplication
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Nissen fundoplication is an elective surgical procedure to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and hiatus hernia. In GERD it is usually performed when medical therapy has failed, but with paraesophageal hiatus hernia, it is the first-line procedure. Partial fundoplications known as a Dor fundoplication or Toupet fundoplication may accompany surgery for achalasia.


The procedure
In a fundoplication, the gastric fundus (upper part) of the stomach is wrapped, or plicated, around the inferior part of the esophagus, restoring the function of the lower esophageal sphincter. This prevents the reflux of gastric acid (in GERD) and/or the sliding of the fundus through the enlarged esophageal hiatus in the diaphragm. In a Nissen fundoplication, also called a complete fundoplication, the fundus is wrapped all the way around the esophagus.
Surgery for achalasia is generally accompanied by either a Dor or Toupet partial fundoplication. In a Dor (anterior) fundoplication, the fundus is laid over the top of the esophagus. In a Toupet (posterior) fundoplication, the fundus is wrapped around the back of the esophagus.
The procedure is often done laparoscopically. When used as a method to alleviate gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in patients with delayed gastric empyting, this procedure is frequently done in conjunction with modification of the pylorus via pyloromyotomy or pyloroplasty.


Nissen fundoplication is generally considered to be safe and effective, with a mortality rate of less than 1%. Studies have shown that after 10 years, 89.5% of patients are still symptom-free.[1]

Complications
Complications include gas bloat syndrome, dysphagia (trouble swallowing), dumping syndrome, excessive scarring, and rarely, achalasia.[2] The procedure can also become undone over time in about 5-10% of cases, leading to recurrence of the symptoms. If the symptoms warrant repeated surgery, the surgeon may use Marlex or another form of artificial mesh to strengthen the connection.[3]

belch, leading to an accumulation of gas in the stomach or small intestine. This is said to occur in 2-5% of patients, depending on surgical technique, and is commonly believed to be related to the tightness of the "wrap". Most often, gas bloat syndrome is self-limiting within 2 to 4 weeks, but in some it may persist. The offending gas may come from dietary sources (especially carbonated beverages). Another suspected cause is subconscious swallowing of air (aerophagia). If gas bloat syndrome occurs post operatively and does not resolve with time, dietary restrictions, or counselling regarding aerophagia, it may be beneficial to consider treating the condition with an endoscopic balloon dilitation.[citation needed]

History
Dr. Rudolph Nissen first performed the procedure in 1955, and published the results of two cases in a 1956 Swiss Medical Weekly.[4] In 1961 he published a more detailed overview of the procedure.[5] Nissen originally called the surgery gastroplication, but the procedure has borne his name since it gained popularity in the 1970's.[6]

References
^ Minjarez, RC; Jobe BA. "Surgical therapy for gastroesophageal reflux disease". GI Motility online. DOI:10.1038/gimo56.
^ Waring JP (1999). "Postfundoplication complications. Prevention and management". Gastroenterol. Clin. North Am. 28 (4): 1007-19, viii-ix. PMID 10695014.
^ Curet MJ, Josloff RK, Schoeb O, Zucker KA (1999). "Laparoscopic reoperation for failed antireflux procedures". Archives of surgery 134 (5): 559-63. PMID 10323431.
^ Nissen R (1956). "[A simple operation for control of reflux esophagitis.]" (in German). Schweizerische medizinische Wochenschrift 86 (Suppl 20): 590-2. PMID 13337262.
^ Nissen R (1961). "Gastropexy and "fundoplication" in surgical treatment of hiatal hernia". The American journal of digestive diseases 6: 954-61. PMID 14480031.
^ Stylopoulos N, Rattner DW (2005). "The history of hiatal hernia surgery: from Bowditch to laparoscopy". Ann. Surg. 241 (1): 185-93. PMID 15622007.




To view information on another disease, click on PancSOD Library.


PancSOD Library

2 comments:

Rose Jurgen said...

I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. It after a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEART BURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, ETC.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
  My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
   

Hannibal Melquart said...

I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.
Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
Dr Itua Contact Information.
Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.comWhatsapp Number....+2348149277967